DIRECTOR OF MUSIC MINISTRIES
Do you have a love for leading worship through contemporary and traditional Christian music and song? Do you find equipping all ages in music ministry through choirs, praise teams, handbells, and orchestras challenging and inspirational? Do you enjoy sharing the love of Christ through music ministry in a traditional sanctuary setting as well as through social media utilizing technology to enhance the worship experience?
Then, God has an opportunity for you at St. Mark Church as the Director of Music Ministry! This is a full-time, salaried exempt position in which you will work closely with church staff and lay leadership in 1) strategic leadership and planning to identify ministry priorities, 2) music ministry development to enhance worship experience and outreach to share the gospel, and 3) coordination and supervision of choirs, praise teams, handbells, and orchestras.
If this sounds like your calling, please send your resume with references and salary requirements to rick [at] stmarkumc [dot] com indicating your salary expectations.
Under the direction of the Senior Pastor, the Music Ministry Director is to plan, direct, guide, and coordinate the music in the worship services, including orchestra, special music programs, seasonal programs, adult choirs, bell choirs, praise teams, and to work with the lay leaders for youth and children’s choirs.
- Leadership and planning: The Music Ministry Director works closely with the Senior Pastor, Staff-Parish Relations Committee, and Music Committee to identify music ministry priorities which will move the church closer to its vision and mission.
- Provides support and leadership to the Senior Pastor in the design and implementation of church music ministries. Participates in weekly staff meetings and other activities to execute goals and objectives.
- Supervises the schedule and activities of the Media Technicians, Organist and Pianist. Performs annual performance appraisals and provides these to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee for their review.
- Monitors and fortifies the spiritual pulse of the congregation.
- Ensures programs are effectively aligned to meet strategic goals.
- Worship/Music Program Development: The Music Ministry Director will lead choirs for adults, children, and bell ringers as well as youth and adult praise ensembles
- Lead the congregation in musical worship during all worship services, coordinates with the Senior Pastor, Organist, Pianist, and Sound Technician.
- Ensure the preparation of video projection presentations of song lyrics and graphics to be used during services.
- Direct adult choirs, bell choirs, orchestra, praise teams, and maintain contact with members of each.
- Plan, prepare, and rehearse music for all groups as far in advance as needed for Sunday services and other special church related services as requested by the Senior Pastor.
- Plan and lead weekly rehearsals.
- Lead in recruiting members for all music entities; expand the size and scope of all music programs, offering guidance and support.
- Support and guide the lay choir leaders of children and youth choirs and coordinate with them the schedule as to when those choirs are to sing.
- Collaborate with the Senior Pastor and Music Committee in selecting music for Sunday Morning Worship.
- Coordinate according to the church calendar all special music programs, such as Easter, Christmas, and any other special occasions as desired.
- Meets as requested with the Senior Pastor in coordinating worship, special services and events, funerals, and attend weekly staff meetings.
- Holds periodic Music Committee meetings to discuss, plan, and prepare for the music year.
- In consultation with the Music Committee, submits an annual budget to the Finance Committee.
- Maintains music libraries; ensures music is available for members before each rehearsal.
- Secures replacement for self for any service or practice to be missed.
- Secures replacement for Organist and Pianist for scheduled absences and any emergency absences as practical.
- Selects and purchases music for all entities as budgeted.
- Coordinates with the sound technician as to the needs of the Music Ministry.
- Recommends/coordinates sound equipment purchases and repair within budgetary confines.
- Recommends/coordinates the tuning, repair, and replacement of all music instruments within budgetary confines.
- Attends music and worship workshops that involve continuing education.
- Other: Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
This position reports to the Senior Pastor with accountability to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- An undergraduate college degree in music education or music performance is preferred or equivalent job experience.
- Experience as a Music Director in a church or school is preferred.
- Familiarity with the United Methodist Church, its hymns, and the spiritual basis of songs is preferred.
- Experience with media projection software (such as Media Shout) and music software (such as Finale) is preferred.
- Strong outreach skills, possessing a passion for sharing the good news of Jesus Christ.
- Proven ability to have led and directed various genres of choirs – traditional, contemporary, children’s choirs, and handbell choirs.
- Must have the capacity to identify, inspire, encourage and develop musical gifts/talents in others.
- Must be able to relate well with a diverse group of people and leadership styles.
- Ability to play a musical instrument, preferably organ, piano, and/or electronic keyboard.
- Ability to work well with and supervise volunteers.
- Willingness and ability to lead, teach, and inspire musical persons of all ages.
Work hours that will include some evenings and weekends as well as Sunday services and established office hours Monday through Thursday.
Employee Signature Date
Supervisor Signature Date